The Moraga Historical Society was estabished in 1965 to gather and preserve knowledge about the history of the Rancho Laguna de los Palos Colorados, what is now the Town of Moraga, plus portions of Orinda and Lafayette.
The Rancho was a land-grant of the 13,316 acres, given to Joaquin Moraga and his cousin, Juan Bernal, by the Mexican government in 1841. Moraga was the grandson of Jose Joaquin Moraga, who led a number of expeditions to the San Francisco Bay area, and who is most noted as the founder of the San Francisco Presidio and Mission.
Our History Center, located in the Moraga Library building, contains our collection of artifacts, photos, books and files about Moraga. The Society is a volunteer organization. General meetings, held four or five times annually, feature speakers or programs of local historical interest.
Romerias, held several times annually, offer tours to historical places in the Bay Area. The Society has published a hardcover, 225-page book. Moraga's Pride, which covers the history of the Rancho.